Almond-Coconut Rice Crispy Bars
This no-bake recipe is based on the Peanut Butter & Honey Rice Crispy Treats from “The First Forty Days” by Heng Ou. They are crunchy, sweet, salty, and nothing short of addicting. Feel free to play around with your favorite nut butters, seeds and dried fruit. Just keep in mind that they are best eaten cold. (I like them right from the freezer!)
Prep: 5 minutes
- 1 cup smooth natural almond butter (not the “spread”)
- 1 stick grass-fed organic butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 1/2 cups puffed rice cereal (not crisped rice)
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- Line a 8x11” or 8x8” baking pan with parchment. The smaller pan will yield thicker bars, and the larger pan, thinner bars.
- In a medium saucepan or pot, combine almond butter, butter, honey, cinnamon and sea salt. Stir over medium heat until fully combined.
- In large bowl, toss together: puffed rice, coconut, flax, hemp and apricots. Pour almond butter mixture over dry ingredients and stir well until combined. Press mixture into lined pan and freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
- Slice into squares and serve cold.
These are best kept in the fridge or freezer, as they will soften up at room temperature.
Feel free to substitute your favorite nut butter, seeds, or chopped nuts. Peanut butter is also delicious!
Natural nut butters are just ground nuts, with no sugar or palm oils as fillers/thickeners.