Kale & Cabbage Slaw with Pistachio Vinaigrette
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, destemmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium head of green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks or ribbons
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 1/2 cup pistachios, chopped, divided
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- Sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl: mix kale, cabbage and carrots. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and with clean hands squeeze mixture several times to soften. (Yes, you're massaging the kale). The squeezing is optional, but it helps break the greens down for a satisfying texure.
- To make dressing: add shallot, 1/3 cup of the pistachios, parsley, vinegar and olive oil to a blender. Pulse until mixture is smooth, adding up to 1/4 cup of water as needed to thin to your desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss kale and cabbage with half of the dressing, adding more as you like. Sprinkle with remaining chopped pistachios.
Kept separately, dressing and greens will stay good for up to 3 days. Once dressed, enjoy within 24 hours.
Tools & Tips
Kale stems can be somewhat fiberous and bitter. To remove them simply hold the bottom of the stem firmly in one hand, and with the thumb and index finger of the other hand, gently grab the stalk and pull up, separating the leafy part from the stalk.
Because this salad sits well after dressed, it makes a wonderful addition to a buffet or picnic. As a side, doubling the recipe would serve about 12 people.