5-Minute Limey Cole Slaw
The ultimate in easy, clean sides, this cole slaw comes together quickly and is free of all major allergens (score!). Not to mention, it’s a great way to use up odds and ends in your crisper drawer (you know, that radish, carrot, or even kohlrabi that’s been kickin’ around, with no plan in sight). Peel, slice or shred any of your favorite veggies here. you can use purple cabbage, too, but keep in mind it will bleed so leftovers might take on a lavender hue.
- 1 medium head green cabbage (or 1/2 of a large head), thinly sliced (about 4 heaping cups)
- 1 heaping cup thinly sliced crunchy veggies (carrots, radishes, sweet peppers etc.)
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced, optional
- Big pinch of sea salt
- Juice of 1-2 limes
- Olive oil, to taste
- Big handful cilantro or flat leaf parsley, chopped
- In large bowl, toss sliced cabbage with big pinch of sea salt and a squeeze of lime.
- Let sit while you slice other veg and chop the herbs. Give cabbage a good squeeze with both hands to soften it up. Toss with other veggies, herbs and a drizzle of olive oil (start with 2 tablespoons).
- Taste and add more salt, lime or oil to taste. Slaw can be made up to 2 hours ahead and kept in the fridge until needed.
Feel free to add any other crunchy veggies to the slaw, like match-sticked golden beets, sweet turnips or even kohlrabi.
Leftovers are good for 1 day, however it will continue to soften over time (which I don’t mind, but that’s up to you!)
All veggies can be prepped up to one day in advance, and dressed within 2 hours of serving, which makes this a great prep-ahead party side!
Want some heat? Add 1 jalapeño, halved, seeded, de-ribbed and thinly sliced.
Serve with tacos, herb-lime chicken, or any grilled meats. I love this slaw in grain bowls with quinoa, chickpeas and avocado.